Friday, August 21, 2009

Rest & Recovery

The last few days have been a good opportunity to take some time off and relax. I've been racing and riding a lot and my body has started to take strain. I also couldn't keep up with cooking, so I had to tone the exercise down a little. Last night I made pancakes in desperation at 23:45!

Wednesday the plan was to ride to the bikeshop, but fortunately Stef was going there and offered us a lift. I rode in the evening with Luke, a mere 40kms and it was total agony. The bike shop was a serious let down. This is supposedly 1 of the best bike shops in the country, but it was smaller than a small bike shop at home with hardly any variety and prices the same as at home. I only got a chain ring, a cluster, a chain and some energy drink as I had run out of mine. It was so good to get out of the house on Wednesday morning and not be on the bike. It was just what my mind needed.

Yesterday, knowing that I wasn't racing today, I used the opportunity to put in a long ride. I rode with Helen to Begijnendijk for the 13:00 group ride. It was hot! Yesterday the news reported that it was the hottest day in Belgium with the mercury reaching 38.2C. I recorded max 40C and ave 35C on my 6hr ride. It was intense with a reasonably hot berg wind blowing. The weather cooled down rapidly in the evening and we were treated to thunder and lightning - real Jhb weather conditions! I stopped after the ride for some water and a Coke, then stopped again for water. Then again in Leuven for a Coke and again in Tienen for water. It felt good to ride without the intensity of a race.

Today is another relaxing day. I'll probably do 3-4hrs this afternoon.

This weekend we are racing again. It is going to be a tough weekend as both Saturday's and Sunday's races are 50kms away (and then you race 120km). But, with this week's rest and knowing there are no races for a few days next week, it will be worth pushing through.

Have a good weekend all!

Some pictures from recent rides:
All shops need to be closed at least 1 day per week. This can be any day - which makes shopping at a specific store a bit difficult. Most shops are closed on Mondays though

This is to help you not get lost - whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment