Saturday, August 15, 2009

Race # 6 - Tielt

Written at 13:00
Today I had to race in my home town. I "had" to because the race goes past our front door and it would be unexplainable if I didn't partake. To be honest, I wasn’t looking forward to it a great deal. I had been riding/walking for more than 6hrs per day sine I got my bike last week Monday, so my body had run out of energy. My Polar says it is 33C outside. I just went to get my number and my legs are knackered. The 1.5km ride to the start was too much..

Written at 20:00
Ok, race done. I had nothing to lose, so I decided to race the way I have most fun - from the front. At least I would get some high intensity sessions out of it until I pop, as appose to sitting in the back and popping in anycase. I also decided (for the first time) to take some energy gels in the race today. I noticed at the races the majority of riders have these screw off sachets they take. For the 17-lap race I figured 1 sachet every 4 laps should see me through.

Well, the racing went well. For the first time there was not a single corner you had to accelerate out of, so I was super stoked. Also, each lap had 2 off 300m long climbs in them. Belgians hate climbs, so this gave me the opportunity to work up the group at every ascent. With 5 laps to go I saw a move go off the front – I was setting the pace and couldn't respond. I saw it contained a guy I met a few days ago, someone Baardemaaker, who had been placing top5s at most the races. I thought that could be a dangerous move, but as on all the other laps, I expected the group to respond, well, not this time. No-one was interested in chasing and they had a minute's lead within 3kms. Argh! The next lap I punched it up the 1st of the 2 climbs and caused a split to form. I punched it up the 2nd climb and the split was now clear. Unfortunately there wasn’t much interest in the group to chase the 6 man break. At times there were some serious verbal exchanges between myself and the rest of the group. In the sprint I chose a very bad wheel, got boxed in and rolled through 20th in the group for another 26th place and 10 Euros. The facts: 158bpm ave, 181 max, 730m climbing, 32C ave, 41kph, 117kms.

Finally, a quick story on prejudice… I judge very quickly and I almost got in trouble today. I guy moved into our house this week while I was away. So I reckon this dude is a super funrider, but I don’t say anything and I mind my own business. During the race I see him a few riders in front of me and think to myself, wow, not bad dude. Ha ha ha. So we finish the race and I casually ask where this guy came. I almost fell off my bike when I heard he had won the race and is also an ex British National Champion. I hope he doesn’t read it and I will try my best not to judge again, or at least to keep my mouth shut ;)

2 comments:

  1. hahahaha, Jaco style... tuning someone else is a funrider...

    haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you trying to say?! I don't have reflective type on my bike and I have kinda shaved legs.

    ReplyDelete