Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Race # 4 - Hoeleden

Today was a cracker of a race. Wow, I didn't get to see the front of the bunch once. Not even that of the chasing bunch. Not sure why my legs were so unresponsive today. It could have been because I caught a nap at 15:00 and people say that causes your legs to go to sleep and then you expect to race on them. Oh well, I'll just write it down as another learning experience.

The starting group was considerable in size - many riders returning after this weekend's Ronde van Antwerpen and the guys were in top form. We were close on 200 that started the 16 lap race. Cross winds and a long drag at the start/finish point accounted for some hard riding. Severe guttering was at the order of the day. It was one of survival for me - I counted down the number of times I had to endure each gutter section with my optimism groing as the laps counted down. Ha ha, we call this fun.

No result to write home about, but it was rather the severe speeds we were cornering at and the size of the bunch that made for a unique, well for me that is, experience. It sounds silly, but one needs to be totally alert the entire race - no long straight sections like back at home where you can take a drink with comfort and speak to the rider next to you. The Belgians also have an unwritten rule I notice: You corner in a single line and you hold your position from about 60m to the corner. No arging and barging into the corner and then try and squeeze through. Well, that makes for some civilized racing but also gives the uncivilized ones a chance to move up in the bunch. My hammies pulled when I reached for them in the sprint and subsequently rolled over in 46th place int he 3rd bunch on the road. With 20kms to the race, it was a good day with 160kms on the clock. Ave HR 160, max 181, 42km/h.

The next 2 days

Ok, so thanks to some serious networking I have an exciting 3 days ahead of me. Thanks to Christie (Jhb) making friends with Sarah (Jhb) making friends with Dieter (Belgian) at the Cape Epic (Knysna), I now have a place to stay in the West of Belgium. Good work guys, and thanks a million. I leave for Beernem to race tomorrow by train from Leuven. The trip will include 20kms per bike to Leuven, train to Beernem of about 1hr40 and a 2km ride to the start of the race. I sincerely hope my interpretation of the Flemish transport site doesn't let me down and my planned route will allow me to reach my destination before the race's 18:00 start.

I then stay over at Dieter's B&B (http://www.landleven.be/). I'll do a critique on it when I am back on Friday and let you know if I recommend it ;) On Thursday I am off to race in Evergem. Both races are 1.12B and 120kms in length.

Since I am practically next to Brugge, I am planning on spending Friday doing some sight seeing around that side of the country. At last I'll be getting there after buying tickets and missing the trip due to not having a Schengen visa 6 years ago.

I'll be back in touch on Friday before I race on Saturday in my home town, Tielt-Winge and Sunday in Duvvel. Well, that is the plan, with some rest the next week. I'll let the legs decide on Saturday about Sunday's race.

Have a good week all!

No comments:

Post a Comment