Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Babyshower Boom!

Great news from the growth assessment scan we had last week - baba has grown! Atta girl!
She is now 2.6kgs which is the 20th percentile for 38 weeks. It was a long time ago since I did stats, but it basically means that if I had 100 children (!!!), the 100th child would be the biggest with the 1st child being the smallest. BC would thus be on the small end of average. She is definitely not my child then! Also, the placenta is healthy and there is enough amniotic fluid for her to stay in my lovely warm tummy until full term of 40 weeks. Yah - we were so pleased with the news! Jaco was very proud of himself for feeding us up and I was told that early bed rest was not necessary. Because her head is so far down in my cervix, they had to do an internal scan to check her head circumference. Despite your feelings regarding internals, all concerns disappeared when we could suddenly see her face on the screen, with these pair of beautiful big lips opening and closing as she was swallowing the amniotic fluid! Just amazing! Oh, we cannot wait to meet her!

So I'm sure you've all picked up that we've decided to officially name BC as MC - Milea Cronje (pronounced ma' lea for those having difficulty). The Wikipedia explanation of Milea: A generous and compassionate person. In Hawaii, Milea means angel child variant of Mary, quiet and peaceful. I'm not making this up - go look for yourselves! And there are no famous people with Milea as their first name so she has a chance...! I went to YWAM with an American girl called Malia and have always loved the name. We wanted something different and unique which was my compromise in the English / Afrikaan name debate. Plus, did you notice how it rhymes with Cronje! I just love it!

I could not have been more spoilt recently when in the space of 2 days I was given 2 babyshowers! The first one just happened to fall on Mother's Day last Sunday which I thought was quite apt since I am 'technically' considered a mother. I also managed to convince Jaco that I qualify for a Mother's Day gift which was a desperately needed pair of slippers which were promptly packed into the hospital bag so I'll only get to wear them when I really AM a mom!

We invited about 30 of our Cape Town friends and family for a lovely picnic in the park where we served a brekkie of cupcakes, muffins, hot cross buns, fruit salad, yoghurt, croissants and lots of yummy things. Best of all, Milea was so pleased with all the cute additions to her wardrobe and baby products, which she cannot wait to start using.

I loved the game which my sister came up with. Everyone was given a piece of paper with parts of the body or attributes of personality that they had to decide whether Milea was going to inherit from her mom or dad. It was quite funny to hear who thought she should get her 'intelligence' from or her 'legs' from etc. Thankfully she seemed to get an equal mix from mom and dad!

We were also so glad to have the weather play along as we enjoyed a beautiful morning in the sunshine. Big kisses and hugs go to my special hubby and sister for organising everything!


Then the following day at work, the office surprised me with a party in the boardroom with lots of pressies and games including guessing how big my bump is. Some of the guys cut their string to fit around both my belly and theirs! I definitely shouldn't be asking them the touchy question of whether I look fat??!!? They were so generous considering I've only be there about 6 months. Milea was very excited to receive a moses basket which will be her second bed when we are out in the evenings or travelling. Talking of which, we booked a trip up to JHB to visit my parents on the 19th June. She would be less than a month old! EEEEK! Very brave move I think but I've heard its the best time to travel, the younger they are. So the moses basket will be her temporary home for a week and a half. It was quite funny having to choose a birth date for her when booking the ticket - since we haven't quite got there yet.....


So Jaco is in Nigeria again this week and I was told to 'knyp' until he gets back! Well it seems that Milea is very comfortable with this idea since I've not had a peep from her and daddy gets back today! I survived the 3 nights alone with most people worrying about me. Hopefully no more work trips until the end of June otherwise I'll have to put my foot down and institute a travel ban!




No comments:

Post a Comment